The FCC launched it’s official Android Speed Test app this week. The idea is that it will help the government agency produce an accurate map of mobile broadband performance. What users get out of using the app is a good sense of how well their phone provider’s network is performing. Think your data speeds are a little below average while at home or work? This app will help you find out, and then give you insight into the meanings behind the numbers.
FCC Tests Mobile Broadband Performance
Mobile broadband has become part of our everyday infrastructure. We hope the app helps provide greater clarity about your mobile broadband performance.
Once installed, the app will run periodically in the background. It will automatically perform tests when you aren’t using your smartphone. Aggregated, anonymous data will also help build a map of mobile broadband performance across the country.
Privacy is paramount. The FCC has taken significant measures to ensure the privacy and confidentiality of volunteers for this program. Using privacy measures developed and reviewed by a diverse team of privacy experts, any data that could potentially identify specific smartphones is analyzed and processed to ensure privacy protection.
FCC Speed Test Features:
- Access real-time performance data on your device.
- Historical results available at the touch of a screen.
- Help the FCC’s Measuring Broadband America program in developing the first open and transparent information on mobile broadband performance in the United States.
- Tests run automatically, you don’t even have to think about it.
- Run manual tests on Download Speed, Upload Speed, Latency and Packet Loss.
- Additional passive metrics collected such as Cell ID, Signal Strength and GPS location.
- By default, testing is limited to 100 MB per month–always consider your broadband usage carefully on limited data allowance plans.
- Raise your data cap to see more performance data.
- Lower your data cap and set a date to reset data caps so you don’t go over the limit on your plan.
Go grab it from Google Play for free and check it out. H/T to Droid-Life for this one!
Leave a Reply