We are recommending all Bitly users make these changes. Please take the following steps to secure your account: change your API key and OAuth token, reset your password, and reconnect your Facebook and Twitter accounts.
We invalidated all credentials within Facebook and Twitter. Although users may see their Facebook and Twitter accounts connected to their Bitly account, it is not possible to publish to these accounts until users reconnect their Facebook and Twitter profiles.
Following are step-by-step instructions to reset your API key and OAuth token:
1) Log in to your account and click on ‘Your Settings,’ then the ‘Advanced’ tab.
2) At the bottom of the ‘Advanced’ tab, select ‘Reset’ next to ‘Legacy API key.’
3) Copy down your new API key and change it in all applications. These can include social publishers, share buttons and mobile apps.
4) Go to the ‘Profile’ tab and reset your password.
5) Disconnect and reconnect any applications that use Bitly. You can check which accounts are connected under the ‘Connected Accounts’ tab in ‘Your Settings.’
We have already taken proactive measures to secure all paths that led to the compromise and ensure the security of all user data going forward.
If you have account-specific questions, you can reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We take your security and trust in us seriously. The team has been working hard to ensure all accounts are secure. We apologize for any inconvenience and we will continue to update our Twitter feed,@Bitly, as we have any further updates.
Urgent Security Update Regarding Your Bitly Account
UPDATE: We have updated the section of this post regarding users who have Twitter or Facebook profiles connected to their Bitly accounts.
We have reason to believe that Bitly account credentials have…
Dan Pawlak says
Thanks for this.